Invercargill mixed bag for North Shore Juniors

 In Junior, News

October 1 – 4th the NZ Junior Individual Age Groups Championship were held in Invercargill. 7 of the Junior Academy plus an extra ring in left for Invercargill on the Wednesday flying into Dunedin and then road tripping to Invercargill with Paul Hornsby there to be driver, cook and coach. The remainder of the juniors from North Shore traveled down with the Auckland team who left in the early hours of Thursday.

Games started on Thursday at 1pm. The boys all had games on the Thursday with the girls having the day off and their games all started on the Friday. In the U19 Boys were Stuart Martin, Tom Taylor, Soomy Jang, Jonathan Ko, David Matthews and Gabe Yam . U17 Boys were Akil Afghan, Matthew Lucente and Akil Afghan. The under 19 girls had Abbie Palmer and Tyler Duberly in that draw with Amara rounding off the North Shore players in the U15 draw.

Thursday had a mixed results with Akil who was seeded 17 knocking over the number 15 Finn Elliott 17/15 in the 5th. Other players to have wins were David and Matthew. Friday saw all the boys playing again and the girls finally getting on court. Abbie and Amara both had wins and Tyler came up against fellow Aucklander Lauren Clarke going down in 4. Soomy, Jono and Stuart all had wins in their next round. Soomy and Jono were knocked out in the next round. Tom had a loss in the second round but won his third. Amara had a loss in her second round but this was to be her last loss. Abbie and Matthew won their second and third round. Soomy was knocked out in the Classic Consolation Plate and Jono in the plate. Tyler was also knocked out after round 3 in the Plate side. David was knocked out in the Special Plate round 3.

Final results were.

Stuart Martin U19 Plate winner

Amara Afghan U15 Special Plate winner

Tom Taylor U17 Consolation Plate winner

Abbie Palmer Runner Up U19

Matthew Lucente Runner Up U17

Those that had traveled down on Wednesday said goodbye to David who was to stay behind with the Auckland team after a late injury to Sam Sayes making room for David in the team. Back in the van and fingers crossed that the wind and rain would not hamper their flight home. The van was said goodbye to and the flight was delayed for an hour and a half before departing to bring them all home.

A big congratulations to Paul and his Academy kids for a great result.

Contact Us

Send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt